Saturday, August 31, 2013

Lino Meets Watercolour With A Little Drama On The Side














Library Square
linocut with watercolour
1 of 10
paper size 15x22
image size 12x12


Astoria Hotel
linocut with watercolour
1 of 10
paper size 15x22
image size 9x12
 

I've finally come up for air. I've been drawing, carving, printing and painting up a storm.  Today I hauled my first 11 completed linocut/watercolour images out into the sunshine to photograph them.  It was exciting, and not just because of the sense of accomplishment.  While I was shooting them in the alley across from the house I noticed some commotion on the street.  I looked up and saw 4 police cars and a whole bunch of coppers, and one very forlorn handcuffed dude standing in the middle of it all.  There were some 'goods' scattered about the street.  I thought immediately of my unlocked house 50 steps away. I picked up my stack of prints and the weights I was using to hold them flat, scurried home, locked the door and headed a block away to a less dramatic alley to finish shooting. 

It's very exciting being an artist.

A little about these:  They're drawn, transferred, then carved into linoleum blocks, printed on a big ol' wheel press by yours truly  at Malaspina Printmaker's Co-op on Granville Island (my new favourite hangout), using oil based inks. When they're completely dry, I paint each one with watercolour. The lino/watercolour images are marked in an edition of 10, but because they're hand painted every one is an original. I'm also printing additional runs of each plate in black (10) and in sepia (5) with no watercolour. I'll be showing the full series at my upcoming show - details to follow!  If you want a sneak peak, click on my flickr photostream over there on the right. 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really nice, well done.... I was looking to do the watercolour first, (using a backlit linocut image under the watercolour paper, but I reckon your way may be less complicated.