Friday, February 20, 2015

Big FCA News and 2 More Days in Madrid

I'm opening with my big news (since I know not everyone makes it to the end of my ramblings). We got back to our little pad late last night and I decided to check my voicemail for the first time. There was a message from the Federation of Canadian Artists; my piece 'Rooftops of Montmartre' won FIRST PLACE at their annual Landscape Show!  Yes I did just yell that. I'm feeling so honored and excited. 


What an amazing couple of days. We've hit the Museo del Prado, the Thyssen-Bornemisza, and a pop up show at Cibeles spanning centuries of masters. The stand-outs for me?  All three had Van Goghs, always a fave, but the most surprising was Hieronymus Bosch. His 'Garden of Earthly Delights' (circa 1500) was for sure the inspiration for everything Dr Seuss ever drew.  It's a crazy and colour soaked depiction of heaven and hell. I wanted to buy a book with a picture of it, but  none of the reproductions came even close to capturing its magic. Pics on the internet don't do it either. You'll just have to go to the Prado to experience it.  Immediately. 

Last night we wandered up the street to Casa Patas Flamenco Show. It's like a wild passionate mix of tango and tap, opera and folk. We were wedged right up against the stage (perfect) as their feet drove into the raised wooden floor so fast and hard, the guitar player's fingers flying as three men dressed all in black sang their souls out into the darkened room. Mind blowing. 

Food continues to be amazing everywhere we go, and the architecture is spectacular. My husband continues to tolerate the endless hours in museums and is lugging around all the art books I keep buying. Full points.  We both keep marveling at how beautiful the people are here.  It's been too cold for sketching outside, but I might brave it today.  No other plans, except to enjoy the day. 

No comments: