Thursday, November 6, 2008

What is this word 'next'??


ric's
Originally uploaded by sketchalina
My most recent work project came to a close this past week. It's like being let out of school at the end of the year! People keep asking me what I'm going to do next, but I think I'd like to avoid 'next' for a while, and just enjoy sketching, playing music, cooking, writing, and hanging out with the people I love. I'm packing up the Kelowna apartment and we're moving into the ski condo for the winter. We have season's passes all lined up. I bought five new hat and scarf sets in New York last week to keep my head warm, and I'm ready to hibernate. I say that now; I may be missing human interaction by sometime next week and make a run for the nearest city. My parents are moving into this lovely apartment we've been living in in Kelowna, so at least I have some place to run to.

One of the things I kept dreaming about while I was working was having time to sketch again. I finally made it out there yesterday; did this one and another of a building facade on Bernard Avenue. So many people stopped to talk - I really enjoy that part of sketching outside. Now I can't sleep, so I've spent the last several hours laying out my sketches into books on my Mac. I'm using iBooks. It's very cool. If you're on my list this year you may be getting one ;-)

This morning I'm flying down to Penticton. The road is still out between these two Okanagan cities due to a large crack in the earth thanks to this summer's construction. We can't drive it anymore, but we can get cheap flights on these cool little airlines (Southern Skies, Coastal Pacific) for about $55 each way. It's not that much more than the cost of gas in the SUV! I'm heading down there to shave the head of my dear and beautiful friend Mary Ellen. She's donating her long red hair to help make a wig for cancer patients. She's one of my heroes, for this reason and many more. We have radio coverage and someone is coming from the paper as well. Hopefully we'll inspire others to do the same. I'm off the list however, since my hair currently isn't long enough to make a wig for a Pixie!

No comments: