Thursday, February 13, 2014

Two new prints and a big sale!

A big thank you to Ali at Zientte in Gastown, who sold the whole gallery of 14 pieces she displayed in her shop to a single buyer!  I'm framing them now and will drop them off in the next few days. I hope I get a chance to see them all hanging together in their new home at some point. Here are a couple of newer ones that didn't make the blog earlier, but are part of that gallery.   


I did this cut if the Hollywood Theatre on Broadway just after my show in September. It's such a classic part if Vancouvers past, and hopefully its future as well. There's a 'Save The Hollywood' coalition that's working hard to keep it alive, unlike the Ridge Theatre in my 'Midnight Showing' print, which is already gonzo. So sad. I'm glad there are people out there who care about these things and work hard to preserve the cultural fabric of our city. Rock on you protectors of our past!  Hey, if you're one of those people and you're reading this, contact me. I'd be happy to offer up a print from this run if you're doing any fundraising auctions or anything like that. Go heroes!


The other print here was done for the community street banner competition in Deep Cove. I finished it with plenty of time to spare, but the contest required a summer scene and a winter scene, and I honestly have never been there in the winter and have no idea what it looks like, so never finished the second print for the contest. Maybe next year, but I'm glad they inspired me to do this first one.  These little boats are just like the ones Greg and I sailed (and flipped) during our sailing lessons on Lake Okanagan. So fun!

Richard Tetrault, the man who's work first got me interested in making prints, is doing a woodcut workshop at Malaspina right now. Tonight was night two, and we did our first two-plate print.  Im not ready to throw away my stash of linoleum, but so far it's been fun. It's making me want to try all kinds of new things. Pics to come. 
  

No comments: