Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bernini's River Gods





This was such a fun piece for me to do. It's the first time I've pieced together a couple of tiles to make a bigger image, something I'll happily do again. I did this from the sketch I posted earlier, done on site at Bernini's fountain in Piazza Navona, Rome.  Rio Di Plata's hand didn't fit on my sketchbook page, so I had to do a bit of a brain twist to add it in later, having to draw it in backwards because of the nature of relief printing. I'm happy to see his thumb is not on the wrong side of his hand :).  I first saw these sculpted river gods at night, during my moonlight tour. They are magical anytime of day. 

It's probably not that cool to have a favourite spot on your own artwork, but I love the bottom of the other guy's foot. Makes my own feet feel a little ticklish. As I was drawing these figures I kept thinking about the fact that whoever modeled for these all those hundreds of years ago was still so present; and how cool it is to feel someone's presence so intimately, someone who had a life, dreams, ideas, a reason to be modeling at that time and in that place, but separated by centuries. Just another of the million things we have to marvel at every day. 

Can't wait to throw some colour on this. 

For anyone who might be wanting one of these when they're done you can still order them at the pre-buy pricing anytime before April 15th.  The info is on my website at http://www.carolmcquaidart.com/italy-2014.html

2 comments:

Sigrid Albert said...

Great to see these! I love it! Totally inspiring.

Diabratical said...

Beautiful work bella!

Loving your trip, keep blogging!